Saturday, October 08, 2005

Changing Rules

There’s a code phrase for creativity – it’s “thinking outside the box.” That’s what a client and I were talking about last week in terms of a new model for his business. I said he ought to consider changing the rules.

He asked for an example and fortunately I remembered an old joke. (Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I heard it – so if it’s copyrighted, please forgive.)

Stevie Wonder met Tiger Woods for the first time and mentioned that he also was a golfer. The blind musician explained, “When I tee off, I have one of my guys call to me from the green. My sharp sense of hearing helps me aim.”

Woods was pretty skeptical about this, so Wonder suggested that they play a round for $100,000. Tiger jumped on that bet, figuring it’s the easiest hundred thou he’d ever make. “So when do you want to play?”

Stevie shrugged. “Pick any night.”

No comments: